The Spectacular City: Violence and Performance in Urban Bolivia
Daniel M. Goldstein
2004, Duke University Press
I have created this webpage to provide instructors using The Spectacular City with resources to aid them in their teaching of the book. The following files are available for download:
- Fieldnotes – read excerpts from the fieldnotes I wrote while doing the original fieldwork for The Spectacular City. Students can get a sense of how observations get recorded in the field, and are subsequently used in writing an ethnography.
- FAQs – frequently asked questions about the book
- Grant Proposal – the original grant proposal I submitted to the Wenner-Gren Foundation, to support the fieldwork. Students can see the kinds of changes that occur between the time a project is imagined and the final book is written.
- Study Questions – to assist students in thinking about the main points of the different chapters of the book.
- Text Excerpt – a section from one of the chapters of the book, for those who are thinking about ordering it.
Any question about the book can be addressed to the author: firstname.lastname@example.org