- How do I declare a major or minor in one of the anthropology subfields?
1. How do I declare a major or minor in one of the anthropology subfields?
Read about becoming an anthropology major.” Declare your major or major online, at mymajor.sas.rutgers.edu. No Department signatures are needed.
All students should declare their majors in Anthropology by the spring semester of their junior year, at the latest. The department assumes no responsibility for students unable to complete their major requirements if they do not declare their majors by this time.
Note that special permission numbers are obtained through the professor or instructor of the class. Prior to registering for Independent Study or Anthropology Departmental Honors Classes, contact the Undergraduate Program Assistant or the Undergraduate Program Director. Find a faculty advisor and fill out the appropriate form to submit.
2. How do I obtain a special permission number?
3. How to I obtain a prerequisite override to register for a course?
If you do not have the prerequisite(s) for a course but obtain the permission of the instructor to join, ask the instructor to email the Undergraduate Program Assistant, requesting a prerequisite override. Included in this email should be the course number and section number, as well as your student ID.
If the student does not have the prerequisite(s) for a course but obtains the permission of the instructor to join, he/she should ask the instructor to email the Undergraduate Program Assistant, requesting a prerequisite override. Included in this email should be the course number and section number, as well as the student’s ID and email address.
4. How do I set up an independent study?
To Set up an Independent Study
- Find an anthropology faculty member with the expertise and willingness to supervise your independent study
- Have a proposed study in mind, and then discuss it with the appropriate faculty member
- Once a faculty member has agreed to supervise the independent study, ask your supervisor to email the Undergraduate Program Assistant, confirming that the independent study is arranged and requesting a special permission number to register for 070:495 (fall) or 070:496 (spring)
- Fill out the Independent Study form and give to the Undergraduate Program Assistant
Independent studies count as 3 credits. You can take no more than 30 out-of-class credits in your entire program of study, which includes independent studies, coop. ed., and internship.
You can register for up to 2 independent studies (or 8 out-of-class credits) during any one semester. To register for more, you need the Dean's approval.
Non-traditional students and those who have difficulty scheduling daytime classes may find that online classes provide a good alternative.
5. How do I get pre-approval for a transfer of credits for a course taken outside Rutgers NB?
In order to get pre approval from the Anthropology Department for courses taken at another institution, do the following:
- Search and download the "Transfer Credit Preapproval Form": go to http://sas.rutgers.edu and search for the form or pick one up in RAB 318
- Find and print an official course description, and if possible, a recent syllabus, by visiting the web site of the college where you plan to take the course or by contacting them
- Complete top portion of form and take it, along with course description and/or syllabus, to the Undergraduate Program Director for a signatureDuring his/her office hours or by appointment
- Take the signed form to the Transfer Center in Lucy Stone Hall, Room A-204, Livingston Campus, for approval signature (no other advising center will do for this)
After completing the course:
Submit a sealed transcript from the institution to Lucy Stone Hall Transfer Center, or have them submit it electronically. From there it will be submitted to the registrar.
When the course appears on your degree navigator record, go to the Undergraduate Program Director and ask to have the course moved in your record, to show you have completed a requirement.
6. What are my options for taking a course outside Rutgers NB?
Two options are possible:
1. Program credits are awarded on a transcript from an accredited American university.
- Preferable option - less costly - student pays only for the program, not for transferring credits
- Requires that the Anthropology Department Undergraduate Program Director pre-approve the credits
- Credits can be accepted as transfer credits, as long as student earns a minimum grade of C
- Grades do not transfer - no impact on student’s GPA
2. Independent Study Credit
- If participation in the program is not reported on a transcript from an accredited American university, Anthropology department may pre-approve the "experience" to fulfill one or more Independent Study course requirements
- Student must find Anthropology Faculty supervisor for an independent study and then seek pre-approval from Anthropology Department Undergraduate Program Director
- Student will get special permission number and must register for the appropriate Rutgers Independent Study course(s)
- Unlike above option, student must pay tuition and fees to register for the Rutgers Independent Study class(es) and also pay the costs of the program. For example, 6 credits at Rutgers might run in the area of $4000 plus fees based on out-of-state tuition rates (exact current figures not available here, must be checked by student at the time of registration)
- Grades will be assigned for the Rutgers Independent Study classes and will contribute to student’s GPA