Ulla D. Berg
Department of Latino and Hispanic Caribbean Studies and Anthropology
Lucy Stone Hall, Room A262, Livingston Campus
I am a socio-cultural anthropologist working on communicative practices in the context of transnational migration between Peru and the US. I am interested in mobile livelihoods, the sociality of transnational connections, the performance of affect, and notions of belonging and membership, and the practicalities and ontologies of multi-sited fieldwork. I am currently working on a book manuscript on new media practices and transnational life between Peru and the United States. I am co-editor of El Quinto Suyo: Transnacionalidad y Formaciones Diaspóricas en la Migración Peruana (IEP, 2005) and my articles have been published in Latin American Perspectives, Latino Studies, Journal for Ethnic and Migration Studies, and Revista Academia Diplomática Peruana, among others. I am currently co-directing with Daniel Goldstein the faculty initiative “Transnational New Jersey” focusing on the experiences and processes of transnational migrations and their impact on life in the state of New Jersey.
I am also a filmmaker and on the visual front, I am currently working on a documentary project on the Peruvian poet Domingo de Ramos, which I am directing and producing. This project has just entered the first stages of editing. I have also directed, produced and edited the documentary Waiting for Miracles (2003), which follows a Peruvian Catholic brotherhood in NYC as it prepares for its yearly procession honoring the Lord of Miracles.
2007 Ph.D. in Socio-cultural Anthropology, New York University.
2005 Certificate Program in Culture and Media, New York University.
2001 M.A. in Anthropology, University of Copenhagen.
1998 B.A. in Anthropology, University of Copenhagen.
595:497 Senior Seminar in Latino and Caribbean Studies
595:402 Documenting Latino Lives: Video Production Seminar
070:368 Anthropology of Mass Media
595:307 Latino Ethnography
595:304 Research Methods in Latino and Caribbean Studies
595:298 Latinos and Migration
595:101 Introduction to Latino Studies
070:101 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
The Center for Migration and the Global City at Rutgers Newark where I am an Affiliate Faculty
- 2005 El Quinto Suyo: Transnacionalidad y Formaciones Diasporicas en la Migración Peruana [The Fifth Region: Transnationality and Diasporic Formations in Peruvian Migration]. Eds. Ulla Berg and Karsten Paerregaard. Lima: Instituto de Estudios Peruanos.
Editor Special Journal Issues
- n.d. Guest editor with Robyn Rodriguez of special issue of Identities: Global Studies in Culture and Power on transnational and diasporic citizenship [under review]
- 2010 Guest editor with A. Takenaka and K. Paerregaard of special issue of Latin American Perspectives on Peruvian Global Migrations (Vol. 37 No. 5, September, 2010)
- 2006 Guest editor with Roberto G. Varea of e-misférica 3.2. (Issue titled Borders: Hybrid Imaginaries / Fractured Geographies): http://hemi.nyu.edu/journal/index.php.
- 2010 El Quinto Suyo: Contemporary Nation-building and the Political Economy of Emigration in Peru. In Latin American Perspectives, Vol. 37 No. 5, pp. 121- 136
- 2010 Introduction: Peruvian Migration in a Global Context. Co-authored with A. Takenaka and K. Paerregaard in special issue of Latin American Perspectives, Vol. 37 No. 5.
- 2008 In Defense of Community? Long-distance Localism and Transnational Political Engagement between the US and the Peruvian Andes. In Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Vol. 34(7):1091-1108.
- 2006 ‘El Quinto Suyo’ from Above and from Below: State Agency and Transnational Political Practices Among Peruvian Migrants in the US and Europe. Co-authored with Carla Tamagno. In Latino Studies, vol. 4(3): 258–281
- 2012 Migration Brokers and Document Fixers: The Making of Migrant Subject in Urban Peru. In Nyberg-Sørensen and Gammeltoft-Hansen (eds): The Migration Industry and the Commercialization of International Migration (Forthcoming 2012, Routledge).
- 2012 Video-Culturas Itinerantes: Visualidad y Performance en el Espacio Diaspórico Peruano [Itinerant Video-cultures: Visuality and Performance in the Peruvian Diaspora]. In Gisela Cánepa (ed.): Imaginación Visual y Cultura en el Perú. Lima: Fondo Editorial PUCP.
- 2005 ¿Enmarcando la ‘Peruanidad’? La Poética y la Pragmática del Performance Público entre los Migrantes Peruanos de New Jersey [Enframing Peruvianness: The Poetics and Pragmatics of Public Performance among Peruvian Migrants in New Jersey]. In Berg and Paerregaard (eds.): El Quinto Suyo2005. Introducción (with Karsten Paerregaard). In Berg and Paerregaard (eds.): El Quinto Suyo.
- 2001 Milagros y Castigos: San Sebastián en el Imaginario Popular en la Sierra Central del Perú [Miracles and Punishment: San Sebastian in the Popular Imagination in the Central Highlands of Peru]. In Millones and Villa Rodriguez (eds.): Perú: El Legado de la Historia, pp. 235-67. Sevilla: Fundación El Monte, PromPerú, and Universidad de Sevilla.
- Domingo de Ramos. Documentary-in-progress on the Peruvian poet Domingo de Ramos (director)
- Waiting for Miracles (2003). Documentary that follows a Peruvian Catholic brotherhood as it prepares for its yearly procession honoring the Lord of Miracles in NYC. This film explores the power of faith in the lives of immigrants in New York City (Director, Producer, and editor. NYU, Culture and Media).
Online Multimedia Projects
- Sarhua – Land of Mountains and Colors [Sarhua – Tierra de Montañas y Colores], on-line performance archive curated in 2006 with Luis Millones, Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, NYU (http://hemisphericinstitute.org/cuaderno/atahualpa/)
- The Death of the Inca Atahualpa [La Muerte del Inca Atahualpa], on-line performance archive curated in 2004 with Luis Millones, Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, NYU (http://hemisphericinstitute.org/cuaderno/sarhua/)